|Pillau Class. These two ships were originally ordered from German shipyards by Russia as Muaviev Amurskyy and Admiral Nevelskoy but were not completed at the outbreak of war and were taken over by the German navy.|
Built Schichau, Danzig, laid down 1913, completed December 1914.
Built Schichau, Danzig, laid down September 1913, completed September 1915.
Length 134.3 m waterline 135.3 m overall, beam 13.6 m, draught 5.64 m, displacement 4,390 tonnes load 5,252 tonnes full load.
2 shaft Navy turbines, 30,000 shp, 27.5 knots
8 x 150mm (5.9in) SKL/ 45cal (8 x 1), 2 x 88mm (2 x 1), 2 x 500mm (19.7in) TT, 120 mines
Generally similar to cruisers built for the German navy but smaller and lacking an armoured belt. Crew 442.
World War 1 Service:
1915 II Scouting Group.
Served in Baltic
August 1915 North Sea
31 May 1916 Took part in Battle of Jutland.
17 November 1917 Took part in the Second Battle of Heligoland Bight.
Ceded to Italy and sunk in 1943.
1916 II Scouting Group.
April.1916 Raid of Great Yarmouth.
31 May - 1 June 1916 Sunk at the Battle of Jutland
|SMS Pillau. These were the first German light cruisers to be completed with 150mm (5.9in) guns although they were originally to be armed with Russian guns - 8 x 130mm and 4 x 63mm.|